Monday, April 4, 2011

BP Tries to Get Back to Drilling

Just recently the BP oil company has asked US regulators to have permission to start up oil drilling again in the Gulf of Mexico. BP had stopped the drilling of oil since one of their rigs blew up and spilled 4.9 million barrels of oil into the ocean (NY Times). BP is asking for 11 existing drill sites to be continued in July. The agreement is probably going to be reached in the next month. Although they will probably end up drilling in the near future, there will be much higher safety standards. These regulations will help prevent oil spills in the future.

Even though BP made a huge mistake and will probably never recover, I agree with this procedure. I believe it is the right move to let BP get back to what it should be doing. With higher safety regulations the 11 drill sites that are going to be continued will be much safer and will get BP back in business. While some might say it is too early or dangerous, I believe it will be good for the economy and hopefully start to build more trust in the company and the oil business.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/04/business/energy-environment/04bp.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&ref=earth&adxnnlx=1301897292-7/W2O7AH39fLMjrtJLYk1w

2 comments:

  1. I did not know that, but yes I agree with you.
    They made a mistake, but now its time for them to get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that BP has to resume drilling eventually, but I hope that the recent oil spill has inspired many people to recognize the importance of supporting alternative energy sources. As I stated in one of my previous blog posts, substantial change will only come about when people begin making changes on an individual level.

    ReplyDelete